Saturday, April 16, 2011

The End

I picked up one of the books in my dusty shelf this morning: a copy of Mitch Albom's "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." I was reading it to my sister in Maryland via Skype, because I wanted to make a point in our discussion. I've read this book a long time ago, but my current life conditions have given me fresh eyes as they glided fluidly over Albom's words.

The first chapter is called The End. The following words seemed to leap right out at me: "It might seem strange to start a story with an ending. But all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time."


He's right, you know. I wonder whether I'd have given myself a chance to dream again had my then-boyfriend proposed to me instead of giving me the exhausted "It's not you, it's me" cliché. Looking back, I think I'd still continue dreaming about attending grad school in Hawai'i, but that would be all there is to it--a dream.

This has only been my second real relationship, and it lasted 5 years. The first one lasted 3 years. I don't think that I can handle one more failed relationship (is what I said the first time), so I guess I'll have to stop right about... here (I said that the first time, too!). I believe that it's about time I finally focus on just myself. Now, THIS is something I'm saying FOR the first time now.

The End is often sad. However, if I look at it as a chance to a new beginning, then it can be exciting, too. I know I'll be happy again. One day at a time. One day at a time.

"Lost love is still love. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken, another heightens. Memory. Memory  becomes your  partner. You nurture it . You hold it. You dance with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment